What is Buffalo Beer Week?
Buffalo Beer Week (BBW) promotes Buffalo’s growing craft beer culture by coordinating a ten-day festival in Erie and Niagara counties that attracts beer tourism, fosters knowledge of our regional brewing heritage and serves as a showcase for Buffalo’s breweries, restaurants, pubs and other businesses with ties to the craft beer community. Established in 2010, BBW is a growing annual celebration, featuring multitudes of festivals, dinners, tours, pub crawls, tastings and meet-the-brewer nights at area bars, restaurants and other locations throughout the Buffalo Niagara region — as a growing organization, BBW promises to become one of Buffalo’s mostly highly anticipated annual tourism events.
That sounds amazing, how do I get involved?
It’s easy; there will multiple locations running multiple events throughout the week, from special beer dinners, to unique beer tastings, to something as easy as special beer pricing. You, as a licensed retail establishment, can craft your offering to that which best suits you! The Buffalo Beer Week crew will be working to promote the week via our website, a program book, posters and social media. If you wish to be included in the hullaballoo, check out the advertising opportunities listed here.
Buffalo Beer Week has teamed with Download Design and a PR firm to advertise and publicize your business and events. Download Design’s staff and BBW volunteers will explain your advertising options and help you create the ideal ad. Our PR firm will spread the word about your events to TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, web publications, social media, and more. Whether you’re looking to attract a crowd of knowledgeable and hip beer-lovers to your event or secure press coverage, we’re here to help.
- The Official Buffalo Beer Week Guide The centerpiece of our advertising and PR effort is a one-of-a-kind, 40-page keepsake guide to all of the venues, distributors, festivals and breweries who participate each year. It also contains compelling content about our scene and it’s makers. In 2013, we’ll publish 30,000 copies to be distributed throughout Buffalo Niagara. 15,000 of these will be distributed as an insert to Artvoice the week before BBW. Another 15,000 will be shared out across every participating venue three weeks before Buffalo Beer Week. Every participating venue and their events are listed by date. With increased levels of support, your venue will receive enhanced attention from our marketing and PR team. See ad sheet for rates.
- BBW Passport Contest: the prime goal of BBW is to raise consumer awareness of Buffalo Niagara’s craft beer venues via our advertising and PR efforts. The call to action on these efforts is clearly to inspire new and veteran craft beer drinkers to visit craft beer venues! The BBW Passport Program contest is similar to a poker run contest wherein each visit to an advertiser’s venue gets one chance to win, no-purchase necessary. Visit, 5 locations, get 5 chances; visit 10 – get 10, visit 30 – get 30 chances to win! Entrants increase their chance of winning with every check-in. The Passport will occupy the center spread in our program and will encourage consumers to engage with the book and to visit the advertiser’s venues and events during beer week and check-in using our mobile app (avail early September). A win for the book, a win for advertisers, and a win for the consumer . At the end of beer week, all of the raffle tickets are tallied up and put into a big drawing to win one of the following:
- 1st Prize of a craft beer trip for two <announced soon>
- 2nd Prize(s) of being Brewer for a Day at Ellicottville Brewing Company,
- 3rd Prize(s) of a Craft Beer Basket(s) donated by our local beer retailers.
- Coasters, Posters, and Glasses – 10,000 Buffalo Beer Week coasters that advertise the dates and URL for Buffalo Beer Week as well as the Brewbash at the Ballpark (Sept 21) and the BFLO Beer Geek Festival (Sept 28). These will be distributed out to all venues participating in beer week beginning in August. We will also have 1000 pint glasses made up advertising the dates and URL for Buffalo Beer Week. Finally, each participating venue will receive 2 BBW posters as well as one BEER STOP window poster.
- Print Advertising – a half page ad in Artvoice as well as a half page ad in the Great Lakes Brewing News will advertise Buffalo Beer Week across the region and across the Great Lakes
- Community Managers: It used to be said that Buffalo was a city with a tavern on every corner. While that may no longer be the case per se, people do have their favorite watering holes & retail shops in and around the neighborhoods where they live, whether it be Downtown BFLO, Southtowns, Northtowns, Williamsville, Amherst, South BFLO, Hertel, Lewiston, Lockport, Wilson, East Aurora, etc. Community Managers are beer week volunteers who live in and around these areas and will help connect the dots. They can give advice on tasting event ideas. They can help link bars to breweries. They can help organize pub crawls and other events within neighborhoods & districts that bring locals to local pubs. They can listen to your concerns. Community Managers are here to bridge the distance between East Aurora and Wilson (47 miles), BFLO and East Aurora (20 miles), BFLO and Williamsville (10 miles), as well as between bars & retailers within districts who want to organize community events as partners.
Shameless, self promotion piece.
Buffalo Beer Week is going into its fifth year. Last year it was larger than ever and there was a growing sense that Buffalo Beer Week will play a key role in the continued expansion of the craft beer scene in the Buffalo Niagara region. Buffalo Beer Week 2012 spotlighted more than 80 events spread throughout the city. Participating bars, restaurants, retail establishments, and advertisers all benefited from Buffalo Beer Week with a reported growth in sales and an increased demand for craft beer. Buffalo Beer Week 2013 promises more events, more festivals, more publicity, and more participants. This year, our banner events are the Collab Beer Fest @ Mickies (Sept. 20), the Brewbash at the Ballpark (Sept 21), and the culminating BFLO Beer Geek FESTIVAL @ Artisan Bath & Ktichen (Sept 28). Keep checking the website for more events as they are scheduled.
ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE:
- Support of BBW Community Managers to assist with event creation and connecting brands with venues
- BBW coasters, 2 BBW posters, 1 Beer Stop Poster, and pint glasses
- Access to buffalobeerweek.com to post official events at your business
- Inclusion in local & regional public-relations campaign, including social media
- Daily emails and press releases about events during the 10 days of BBW
- Inclusion in Buffalo Beer Week Program
- Inclusion in the Buffalo Beer Week Passport Contest
- Breweries will be listed in the BBW featured beer section as well as on our website. Venues or events will be listed by date and time.
Buffalo Beer Week Advertising Rates
Buffalo Beer Week Ad Specifications